I haven't decided if I'm hoarding or merely preparing for some un-forseen eventuality. Either way, I've notice that I tend to 'collect' certain things. I asked Michelle the other day if there was something she always bought, or something she always had to have on hand. She appropriately replied, and then when it was my turn to respond, I realized that I had more than one thing I could say. I didn't just need to have a secret stash of Rice-a-roni Rice Pilaf (17 boxes and counting in my cupboard last week), or a million pens that are all the same (just in case they all run out at the same time), but this extended to other things too...
...like in the craft room.
And I was reminded of a conversation I had the week before. I was talking with a Sister in church about supplies that we like havingon hand when we create. She mentioned ribbon, and I told her that I liked envelopes. She responded "Yeah, everyone needs envelopes." Not feeling that she adequately understood the extent of my 'liking', I responded "Well, I have hundreds, maybe thousands. It's a little embarrassing."
A few days later, I was still thinking. How many envelopes DO I have? Did I lie? Do I actually have that many? It has to be a lot, but thousands?
I really didn't know.
In a desperate need to quiet the nagging question in the back of my mind, I had to count them.
[Enter rainy Saturday morning that should have been spent cleaning.]
So I pulled out my boxes, packages, all my piles of envelopes around my craft room, from behind the sewing machine and from under the shelving unit.... and after counting, I found that I have roughly 1950 envelopes. (Not including the 85 manilla shipping envelopes and the 109 #10 security ones for the payment-by-mail option that died out a few years ago...) So I guess, yes, I do have THOUSANDS of envelopes. Hmm.
Now to decide: Is this preparation excessive? Maybe even hoarding? Or do I merely count this as one thing I won't need to buy for a while.... at least until the next yard sale I go to that has 200 envelopes priced at a $1. I can't pass that up!
No comments:
Post a Comment