Friday, March 5, 2010

Thankful Thoughts

I have a wonderful friend, with whom I've been exchanging emails outlining things that we are thankful for. I wanted to list a few here. Being thankful, every day, is something I am working on voicing. I have these thoughts in my head, but I forget to verbalize the great blessings (and small things) that enhance my daily existence.

The quote listed below, from President Monson, started this whole exchange. And we desired to keep our hope afloat, to not succumb to the pessimism that so often can overtake us... so we started exchanging our daily "Thankful for..." emails. I have loved it.

"At times there appears to be no light at the tunnel’s end—no dawn to break the night’s darkness. We feel surrounded by the pain of broken hearts, the disappointment of shattered dreams, and the despair of vanished hopes. We join in uttering the biblical plea “Is there no balm in Gilead?” We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone. If you find yourself in such a situation, I plead with you to turn to our Heavenly Father in faith. He will lift you and guide you. He will not always take your afflictions from you, but He will comfort and lead you with love through whatever storm you face." (President Thomas S. Monson May 2008 --- Looking back and Moving Forward)

Today's thankful thought comes from President Monson. Knowing that the Lord loves me, and will uplift me in personal distress is a direct answer to many of my prayers. Sometimes it may seem hard, and almost impossible to feel that someone cares, when you are in a dark tunnel. But let me share my testimony that those times are marked and known by our Heavenly Father. He yearns to help us, but needs us in faith to turn to Him, and ask for assistance. He may not help us directly, but through the use of others, their testimony and faith, their desire to lift and help you. I hope to remember this on the bad days, and the good.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! The talk by President Monson reminds me of one of my favorite conference addresses of all time: Sunday Will Come by Elder Wirthlin. is so uplifting.

    ReplyDelete