My sweet sister decided to get me a potted plant for Christmas. I wasn't so sure that anything would happen. But. I planted it faithfully 12.26.2009 and waited.
And waited and waited and waited. I am not a patient wait-for-things-to-grow person, I realized. However, I watered it faithfully, or as much as I could remember to, and checked to make sure that my room is warm enough... and still nothing happened.
Until about 10 days ago. [That is a whole 39 nine days from original planting, watching dirt do nothing.] Finally I saw a little tip of something coming out of the center of a very dead looking stub, and it was GREEN! Yeah! So I guess the old equation may work after all:
Water + Soil + Seed = Plant!
Now of course though, we had to factor in Light to our equation. Winter has a tendency to upset that idea, but I carefully put my plant next to my one and only light-source-window and wrapped it in my sweater to protect it from the window drafts.

And it grew some more! Look how green it is!! It actually looks like a plant now!Look how big it is getting! And now, a few 6 days later, look what it has done! It is HUGE! and it is growing so fast! I can tell, from day to day, that it has grown! Finally satisfaction after days of waiting!

And now we'll have to see what else it does... provided that it lives through winter, and me accidently throwing stuff at it. So far, so good. More natural light would be nice though. It keeps growing towards our lamps.
Yeah! its growing. I totally understand watching dirt do nothing for too long. Good Job!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like the amarylis that my mom is growing. They are great. Sometimes you can get them to bloom for more than one year. My mom had to wait forever for one of them this year. Congratulations! I'm sure it will be beautiful! I will send you some pics of my mom's.
ReplyDeleteYes, indeed it is an amarylis!! I am also happy with it... thinking I may have to give it to someone else here soon though to take care of it. I just have a hard time finding time to take care of it. I am usually doing good to brush my teeth and get clothes on in the morning, let alone warming the pot, watering the top soil every three days, turning the heater on, raising the blinds for the meager sunlight to penetrate, arranging the insulating layers between the tipsy plant and the window panes...e tc. etc. etc. It seems to take a lot of time. You'd think that a plant would just sit there and grow on its own... maybe it would if I didn't keep it on my bed during the day time... then I could leave it be, and not keep moving it every 8 hours. I am afraid it will upset the plant here soon!
ReplyDelete