Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Turn of Phrase

Everyone has little things that they say, that can help identify them to their audience. Many times people who live together or spend time together will pick up the idioms that may have once been specific to one people/group. This distinction of developing your own language is universal, and has existed for years as a way to show who was 'in' and who wasn't. It was inclusive as well as exclusive (eg: Voloshinov's multiaccentuality or Baktin's heteroglossia).
Each of us creates with our families or close knit groups a different way of speaking. This isn't always conscious, but it strengthens the commonality amongst the 'members'. The reason I bring this up is not to give a lecture about language theory (which I find fascinating) but to show that my ramblings have basis. And to have a background for my own 'language'. Each of us has a set of understanding for words that are specific (often, but not always) to us and our familial interactions. I wish to share some of my idiosyncrasies, more for my own benefit and record keeping, than because I think you want to know what these words 'mean'.
When I am at my sister's house, I know immediately what a grabby is and where to find it. When I speak with cheese, I understand the homie brainwave. This morning I found that my toasty-o pants had gone the way of the movie. Thus far in Eric's vacation we haven't had any sqwoggy times. When leaving Mom's I must make sure that I have all my piece parts, because usually I am very heavy (heevie). My favorite thing to do is squiggling or being inchy. And who knows what a Goobaline is?
If you have understood parts of my paragraph, there is a good chance that you know me pretty well. However, only a few may understand them all. The problem with a selective language is that not everyone can know what you are talking about. But that may not always be bad thing...

4 comments:

  1. Inchy!? hehehehhe well I can imagine a pretty good visual of you being inchy... :D oh yes and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahah! made me smile so much! lol and i definitely had to look up (eg: Voloshinov's multiaccentuality or Baktin's heteroglossia) which was very interesting! :) haha question... am i toasty o? lol cuz i thought i was, but... yeah.. and if so.. what does "gone the way of the movies" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your toasty-o pants went the way of the movie...again? Didn't you just buy those?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did just buy them--- that is why it is so grouchy!

    ReplyDelete