Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Book a Day Keeps Tedium Away

In an effort to increase my efforts to make more somethings, I followed a suggestion to make an 'art book' each day. For me, this meant to create a book like object, with a cover, binding and folios. Size was really the only limitation--nevertheless, not the easiest, allow me to reassure you. However, these are the results so far, and I am pleased. I began on Sept 21st and these show the books through Dec 1 ~Roughly 63 books in all (it should have only been 62 for that time span--but when I was laying them out, it seems that I made two for Nov. 24th....oops) and I am fairly impressed with the collection. I am hoping to have 365 books by the time I am done. After a year, I am sure that I will be more than happy to move on to something else! Below are images of the same books, but a closer look-- hope you enjoy!
I have made books out of netting, candy wrappers, paint chips, material, stamps, circles, doughnut boxes, match stick boxes, clothing sales tags, work business cards....etc etc etc....really anything on hand, striving to break the bonds of traditionally accepted book forms.
I have a book with only the cover, and one with just the text block, I have tag flip books, and some in the shape of accessories... I have accordion books, envelope books, I have books with the cover over sized, with the cover smaller than the text block, one with the cover inside the text block, half a cover, a japanese binding, a coptic binding, an exposed binding, wrap books, and material ones....
I don't have a complete set, but I have started books made entirely of one color--except for the identification tag, but everything else: including the binding ribbon, text block, paste-downs etc all of a single color element.... I have tried to use found objects from my day's experiences --for example: when in Orlando, I used ticket stubs for the covers, and parking permits as my text block...
All in all, I am quite impressed with how they are turning out, and happy that my stream of ideas hasn't run dry. I find new inspiration, and a better sense of fulfillment as I continue striving to be more creative.

2 comments: