Saturday, August 27, 2011

Some days really are just like this...

 Our kitchen counters were full of ugly tomatoes... and a lot of mold. But the Green tomatoes I had bought earlier last week were finally ready for me to do something with them. (Do you know the stench of rotting tomatoes? Reminds me of rotting potatoes... I'm still trying to get the smell out of my house! Eric says I'm just overly sensitive...)
Luckily a little mold is easily cut off.... like the skins one the tomatoes were blanched.
And so I began canning in earnest, alone... (which should have been my first clue right there)
 But undaunted, I went through the steps, reminding myself periodically with the instructions I wrote down years ago with my mother.... threw out the pile of refuse, set the pan to cook for 30 minutes...
Prepared the lids, sealed the bottles
and waited for the steam canner to do its job... until...
Finally my first batch was done, and only after all the hard work did I realize that I'd forgotten the salt. *sigh*
Some days are just like that I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment