Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Things I'm learning... and hope I remember as a Mom...

-If it can wash, then it's okay. My fingers, my clothes, Madeline's clothes, towels, floors, carpets etc. Few things are worth the anger/frustration/annoyance that children acutely feel and respond to.

-A mess always cleans up; and often the clean up can be more exciting for children than the 'game' itself that is now strewn across your living room floor.

-There is always time to clean up later, but not always to cuddle--take those moments they are willing to give you, always placing them before everything else.

-Let children choose as much as possible, that way they will be more inclined to listen when they don't have a choice. (Like being willing to read the SAME story over and over again, because that is what he wants, even if it is the one that you have read now 72 times and counting.... or being willing to let him choose to eat more pretzels, even if you have bagels you need to finish up before they go bad, or the last dregs of the cereal box so that you can clear off the shelf for what you bought the other day...)

-Children listen better when you are patient. (Or perhaps they just seem to listen better :)

-God truly makes up for your weaknesses, and children always forgive you.

-Desperation can breed ingenuity, if you pray.

-Keeping children occupied is easier when you have patience.

-Not reacting to temper tantrums is sometimes the best thing you can do for children.

-If you are frustrated the baby will never fall asleep.

Are these life changing observations? They have been for me. Are these new, something no one else has thought of? No, anyone who has spent time with children has an inkling of these truths--but some things you have to learn on your own. I am learning as surely as if I were in school again. Hopefully I remember these in the moments of trial, in the moments of weakness, in the moments I'll need them the most. If not, I hope that I will have the presence of mind to listen to the quiet whisperings of the spirit as Heavenly Father reminds me to cherish his sweet spirit children. As He cherishes me.

1 comment:

  1. These are great insights. But don't worry if you re-learn the same ones again in a new way. I was reminded of the different situations I was reminded or looked back and wished I had remembered sooner. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete