As strange as green jello + carrots can seem to some, I know that each region has their own preferences. If I was only in communication with the people at church, I don't know if I would have ever been exposed to this rich culture the same way. At work the girls will just talk about things they will make, or plan on eating, and I will just look at them a little funny... and of course have to ask "Wait, what?" Thereby improving my knowledge, but showing everyone how little I really know. Maybe there was a class in school that teaches you these things.... Or maybe the whole country has a 'southern mamma' some where that made them these things... I missed this education somewhere. But, I'm a makin' up fur shore nahw!
Terms I was not familiar with:
Collards (turnip greens, yes, collards, no)Red-Eye gravy (evidently just ham gravy... why didn't they just say, ham gravy?)
hush puppies + grits
chess pie
cheese straws
cackleberry
hoe cake
liver pudding
orky + fatback
And who puts peanuts in their coke??
This doesn't even scratch the surface of all the words that I hear otherwise, that I am not really sure what they mean when they say what they say... (eg: "I'm gonna claw your eyes out" How am I supposed to take that?? Evidently, after being put off by this comment more than once, it is supposed to mean that you're really funny? Maybe? I still don't know what my co-worker means when she says this!)
However, I am glad that I am here-- being able to understand the language would help.... luckily I have Eric's mom to help me out!
Isn't language an amazing thing! I know some of them having had a southern Grandmother, but I'm interested in the some of the ones I don't know. We will have to talk when I get out there!
ReplyDelete