Monday, January 18, 2010

a life as though a fairy tale

It seems that when something good happens, the opposite follows soon after. It also seems that if I believe in benevolent spirits, I should equally believe in malevolent ones as well. I naively pretend that only the good fairies live next to my house. This assumption was challenged late last night.

I had been tossing and turning anyway, but then I hear, clear as day the sound of a doorbell. I turn over to Eric and say, "Is that our doorbell?" Being half asleep, he mumbled something, and I resolutely got out of bed, grabbed my thick robe and started the cold journey out of our room. Normally I would have just shrugged it off, but I had the strangest feeling that this would be a night when Amy and Justin needed us.... for what, I have no idea. Remember always, 3:30 am.

I get to the door, and cautiously unlock and open the door to nothing. I turn the light on, peek around the corner, still nothing. Relieved that I hadn't left my sister standing on my doorstep in dire need, I close it and make the return journey. It isn't until I am crawling back into my bed, that I realize that we have no doorbell. None, not at all. A door knocker yes, but that doesn't sound the same.

Malevolent spirits, I tell you.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is an inherited problem. Sorry this happens to me still! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe.... that's great stuff.... o jimminy, i'm sorry marianne!!! hope you're doing great

    ReplyDelete